I'm tired of saying things like "I want to go to bed..." or "I want ice cream." Don't get me wrong, it's good to say what you want. How are you going to get what you want if you don't ever ask? But for things that you can accomplish yourself - like losing weight, enhancing a talent, or reaching your dreams - you shouldn't have to ask. You should be able to say to yourself, and to whoever asks, "I will lose weight..." or "I will learn to play the piano."
When you say things like "I will..." then you are more likely to believe you can accomplish whatever thing it is you said you will do. People who simply want things generally don't do anything to progress toward their dreams. They spend all of their time wishing and waiting and wanting. If they actually did something with their time instead of sitting around hoping something would change their situation they might actually get what they want.
"I want a nicer car" - Okay, so what are you going to do to get a nicer car? Are you going to wait around praying God will somehow make a Porsche appear in your driveway? Yeah, and I'm praying that Bill Gates gives all his money to a random stranger who just happens to have my social security number. You have to work to have that nicer car. You have to save money, plan and research what car you want, look at insurance...etc. It's not just going to be handed to you because you want it. If you say "I will have a nicer car" that implies that you're already working toward getting a nicer car and you believe you will get one.
"I want to be a better person" - So what? Are you doing anything to be a better person or are you just sitting back and hoping you'll wake up and miraculously change into a 21st Century Florence Nightingale? I mean, as cool as that would be, not all of us have the stomach for gory wounds. Say something like "I will be a better person" to yourself. Even if you don't believe it right now, it's good to say it - out loud - because eventually you will believe it.
I'm not saying you should go around telling everyone you meet that "I will be rich," or "I will be way sexier than you!" but I don't think saying it to yourself is bad. If you believe it, that's what matters.
This does not mean that you are better than anyone else! That is completely false information and if that's what you're taking from this post, you should forget this entire thing immediately. If you're telling yourself "I will rule the world" stop reading and go get some professional help - now!
For the rest of you: I hope this brought a little insight into the way I think and how I think people can be happier if they would believe they can change and will change instead of just wanting to change.
xoxo,
Jessie
No comments:
Post a Comment