Sunday, June 19, 2011

Moments like These

A few nights ago after my sister put her daughter to bed we sat up talking. I'd had a bad day and was complaining about it to my sister. Later, when my niece started to cry, I offered to go rock her for a few minutes until she calmed down and, hopefully, fell asleep. 

As I sat in the dark rocking my niece back and forth, back-and-forth, I wondered why I'd had a bad day. Why was I complaining? I couldn't remember. I was unbelievably happy that I was sitting in the dark, holding a beautiful little girl. It was nice to forget my troubles for a while and just focus on the little things that make life worth living. Things like...

The sound of my niece's laughter
My nephew blowing me kisses goodbye
Summer rain
Mountains
Daisies
The smell of chocolate
My mom's baseball addiction
My dad's smile
Shoe shopping
Chocolate chip cookie dough
Piano music
The crinkle of the pages of a new book
Singing at the top of my lungs
Rolling down grassy hills
Taking photographs
The stars
Laughing

It's moments like these that make life worth living. Everyone has something that makes them smile, something that fills them with joy. The trick is to not let the bad things outweigh the good things. 

xoxo,
Jessie

1 comment:

  1. I'm not addicted to Baseball, so what if I watch 3 or 4 games a night (oh, ok, maybe one in the daytime)

    ReplyDelete