I've never considered myself old. I've never thought that I'm anything but young. When I describe myself one of the first words is always young. For instance: I am a smart, young, beautiful girl who is somewhat abrasive, more than a little sarcastic, and almost always bluntly honest. Key words: young and girl. I didn't say I was an old woman, or a middle-age lady, or least of all, a ma'am. Yet I've noticed that people are calling me ma'am more and more frequently.
Am I getting wrinkles? Is my hair turning gray? Do I wear clothes that look like they should be worn by someone 30 years older than me? If you are honestly considering answering any of these questions "yes" you need to stop reading my blog. The answer is no.
So what's with the ma'am? Is it a respect thing? It's better when people call me "miss". Better yet, just call me by my name, because chances are good that whoever called me ma'am was given my credit card so they should know my name.
I shouldn't be so upset by this. Then again, I get upset about a lot of things. I should add dramatic to my list of attributes when I introduce myself.
My name is Jessie. I am a smart, young, beautiful girl who is somewhat abrasive, more than a little sarcastic, and has freaked out about minor things on more than one occasion. Is that all right with you?
Yes ma'am.
xoxo,
Jessie
No comments:
Post a Comment